Sunday, March 20, 2011

2009 El Prado Tempranillo Cabernet blend

Hello everyone!! We had this wine with a steak and blue cheese salad. It was too big for the food, and would have been better with a burger, or steak and potato, or a nice rubbed flank steak. Also, it's young, so it was much better for opening an hour or so. The color was deep inky purplish red. The nose was not very big, and carried aromas of blackberry, and toasty oak. The flavor profile was true to the nose with added notes of chocolate and a touch of licorice. It was very fruit forward with firm tannins and bright acid. It was a little rough at first, but improved significantly as it opened. I paid $6 for this wine at Total Wine in Atlanta. It would be a very good everyday wine if we ate heavier, beefier foods. Also, I think this would improve with age.

Does anyone but me wonder how anyone can make money by selling wine at this price?? Since I've been spending more time "bottom feeding" I have been amazed at some of the wines available for less than $10. Yes, you can improve the odds of getting good wine by moving up even into the $15 range. Still, I sometimes find very acceptable wines at the lower price point, and I wonder how the producers do it. Box wines run about $5 a bottle (or $20 a box, figuring 4 bottles to a box). These are bulk wines. I know enough about economics to understand that higher volume production means you can often lower your profit margin and still make good money overall. But the little pearls I've been searching out are generally not mass produced wines, though they are not exclusive "cult" wines either. I just don't get how anyone can make money selling $6 wine when you're talking retailer, distributer, importer and producer all making a living. You'd have to sell a lot of wine. Clearly, I still have a lot to learn about wine and the wine business. Until then, guess I'll just keep enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment